About Me

My photo
I am a series of randomly collected ideas running loose in a wild mind. I am hoping they will come together for a strong blog about library technology with a slight creative flair.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

I have tweeted and retweeted in an effort to get a better idea of how this technology could be applied to libraries. These quick status updates are more digestible than long Facebook or blog post. It also allows for quick linking to photographs and articles, especially if they are already on Twitter. It is so easy to retweet that I have already retweeted a few things I did not mean to.

Following people on Twitter is also easy as long as you know their handle. Libraries could follow favorite authors in their area and retweet any information about new books, interesting quotes, etc. to help engage their patrons. Some classmates have also discussed how their libraries are using it to inform patrons of computer issues or library closures. Currently my system uses Facebook for this, but is not active with Twitter. In my area, where many people do not have internet access beyond the schools and the library, adding a Twitter account may not increase customer awareness until much later. Patrons usually access our Facebook account in the library so I do not know how effective Tweeting closures or computer status would work at this current time. It may be something for us to start and just see how it goes.

Currently I am following two authors, J. K. Rowling and Neil Gaiman. Any suggestions for others?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not following any authors currently. I probably need to. We have a "Meet the Authors" series at GCPL, so that might be a good starting point. We had Stuart Woods last month, and I think Karin Slaughter is having a book signing and fundraiser for us in July: http://www.gwinnettpl.org/adults/karin-slaughter-book-signing-and-fundraiser.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I'll check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete