About Me

My photo
I am a series of randomly collected ideas running loose in a wild mind. I am hoping they will come together for a strong blog about library technology with a slight creative flair.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Joomla Conquered...For Now

I have mostly finished my Joomla site and it has been quite difficult.
My site, so far. Like my logo? Creative Funding here.

-It was fairly easy to get a working website together relatively quickly, but it was difficult to make it look the way I wanted to. Most of the downloadable templates were difficult to control or required payment. 

-I attempted to change the banner but for some reason it would not actually publish the selected image to the site and when it did download, it would put a little broken link icon in the image. I stuck with the blue flower and just changed out the backdrop to make it look a little more cohesive.

-I successfully made two menus, Articles and Links. Articles contains the links to the archived articles I wrote about Coke Rewards and Amazon Associates. Those pages include more images of other sites which were easy to drop in.
A quick example of the Coke Reward Page I discussed.
 -The link page contains links to Amazon Associates and Coke Rewards so other may investigate these sites themselves to see if they meet their libraries needs.
-I did manage to put in a logo that I created with some modified clip-art and font, but I found that the easiest thing to do on the site.

I do not see myself using this program again in the near future until they can make the platform a little more user friendly. I need to have a site that even a novice can control and this, unfortunately, is not it. The two hour instruction video was intimidating and very dry. It would have been better broken up into ten minute tutorials that could easily be returned while one is putting together a site.

I bid you farewell, Joomla. 

3 comments:

  1. I had trouble with the templates, too! I experimented with some but had issues with downloads. I really wanted to stick with the simple protostar default template anyway, so that's what I ended up doing. I guess I should have mentioned that on my blog post. Let me see if I can edit it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Jess,
    Doubt I'll ever go back to Joomla, too (unless required). But its all a learning experience. Maybe now I know more about what features I need to suite my skill level!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed Renee. Definitely a learning experience...

    ReplyDelete