About Me

My photo
I am a series of randomly collected ideas running loose in a wild mind. I am hoping they will come together for a strong blog about library technology with a slight creative flair.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Today I am beginning a one month journey into the technology driven world and how it can benefit my library, whether my current one or the one in which I will one day work. Phase one is the creation and familiarization with blogging technology

I am what you may call a Digital Immigrant, which means I am one of those people who learned both the traditional and digital ways of accessing materials. I actually was part of the last class to learn how to use a card catalog and one of the first to learn how to use a digital card catalog (aka an OPAC). I have had blogs, a Facebook page, and even a website at one point. Now I plan to learn how to use these skills to increase library popularity. So far I've been confused by the new set up of the online classes, scared myself with the schedule, and prepared for the next step. I hope to learn more about how libraries are using these technologies and what they are gaining by the use.

We are currently focusing on the use of Facebook and Twitter for libraries. The system in which I am currently employed actually uses Facebook to advertise to its patrons. We try to have a few post daily so we remain current in our patron's news feeds. We also advertise library improvements (we recently got some new furniture in my branch which is really exciting), current programming, library closures, and anything library/ book related. Check out Okefenokee Regional Library System's page here.

To effectively use Facebook resources, it is important to always have something going on your page. The more active it gets, the more patrons see and remember you being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment